Friday, February 17, 2006

Getting on the net again in CAPETOWN

I got another hit at the internet cafe. I miss the computer and it feels like AWESOME to get online. Its crazy how much I rely on the net. If I had a laptop I'd probably be on it all day and miss the whole trip. lol...


I just got through emailing val some and im uploading pictures on Refugecrew.com here is the link im using right now http://www.refugecrew.com/refugeflix/capetown06. It's really nice here and different than I even thought. You know how people always think that in Texas there are horses and cowboys everywhere and even though there is its like out on the Northside of town or like during the rodeo and what not... Well the same is true in South Africa. Im like in a city of 2 million people and I feel like most the time im in the states.

I stay in a "flat" thats like an apartment room behind the host home house where all these bboys (breakdancers) chill at. They are all Christian and truly young men of God. Its real dope to see these kids so wise and ingrained with Christ. They amaze me when they talk. Its like how some kids in America sound "churchy" but here its not fake. They dont use the typical Christian words we do often but when they do its like God talking to you or something. Really really awesome. It encourages me for the young adults at church and house of faith. Just to see people that are bout it and dont waiver when the winds blow. They know who God is and they are solid in Him.

Tomorrow we get to do some workshops in the blacktownships of Langa and right now there are too many kids signed up. We have the graffiti workshop, a ryhme lab that teaches kids how to rap, a basketball class, and a bboy class. There will be about 45 kids in each class and they are two hours long. We will be doing 3 of these two hours sessions which makes for a long day. Im excited but nervous too cause that's alot of "hood" kids to work with at one time. We dont have helpers either. The good thing is that they are sooooo excited for us to come. Usually you have to go promote stuff for kids to want to attend. Like do a concert or something. But as it is we have a grip already. So many that we had to find breakdancers to help so we could make the classes smaller. Im sure I will have footage of all this when I get back.

Thanks to the people that gave money for this trip to be possible. Verbs who's running the workshops is real excited for us to be here helping. He's had this vision for sometime but nobody could really come and help him out. With us here he can do soo much more. Like in the states most everyone has heard about God. Alot of kids are hardened to the message of Christ and sometimes their hearts need some "fertilizing" before they let the seeds start growing. They live in communities that offer nothing... no hope... We drove through the neighborhood in Langa the other day... kids playing basketball with no net and backboard. Soccer games on every corner. Lots of shacks. They want some hope and we're bringing some tomorrow. Please be in prayer for our workshops tomorrow. I have no idea what to expect cause mostly we've been with more "urban" individuals and not the neighborhood kids that we will be with tomorrow. Again just be praying. Our workshops go from 10-4pm and in America 5pm-12pmish I think.

On another note I got to meet Verbs fiance... ahh yea... shes real cool and in October they get married. Im happy for him and she's awesome to hang out with so thats always dope too. Cool wives are definately a plus. :)

Here are some more side notes before I sign off... God bless you out there reading this... talk to you soon.

Ocean front is REAL NICE
6 rand for every dollar
Weather is real nice... cool breeze warm air
Lots of graffiti here!!!
Saw some seals in the ocean
Im considered a COLORED here
Verbs thinks I take Awesome pictures
Two weeks is not enough time in S. Africa

No comments: