Monday, January 26, 2009

Young Life Urban Retreat

Just got back from Philly where my good friend Mike Newton brought me out to dj for a Young Life Camp. I went last year with CZ and Verbs but this time I went solo.

Mike flew me into Philly which was a great experience. I had never been that far out to the East Coast so I definitely had culture shock. Last year I flew in from Texas to Nashville then drove to Virginia for the camp so I still felt like I was in the South. But this year, Mike moved to Philadelphia, so we drove to camp from there.

While in Philly I got to see a "fight" break out on the plane, experience below zero weather, and hit up one of the largest malls in America. I also had no clue that the inauguration was going on and that we would be driving right by D.C. . I didnt get to see any of it but hey... still cool to be in the area ;) .

Camp was good, like most Young Life facilities, every thing is so pimpalicious. Its like a retreat, with nice rooms, and soo much to do. Since its the winter the kids mostly have to stay in the lounging areas. But they dont mind because there are plenty of pool and ping-pong tables, an amazing snack bar, and cozy furniture to kick it in. About 400 Kids from D.C., Virginia, North and South Carolina and Kentucky areas come to this camp. I was nervous this go around not having my friends (Verbs and CZ) with me but Mike Newton aka Dj Noodle took awesome care of me.

Highlights of camp were the "program team", Sophia Cox the guest speaker, watching football games with the staff and helping with the well put on talent show. I also got to dj a "dance" night this year. I think it was a first for the kids and I was excited about stretching them a little. These kids taste in music was definitely a stretch for me but I think they really enjoyed it.
I got to connect with kids more this year since it was my second time out and meet alot of new people. When we got back to Philly, Mike and I ghetto rigged a new dj setup for him in his roommates basement.
Thanks to everyone who helped me out this weekend and made me feel welcome. Im already missing everyone...
THANKS FOR THE GREAT TRIP!!!
Here are some videos from the talent show... check www.youtube.com/djpromote for more uploads later
Jesus Makes Me Bounce - The Haitian Prince and Malik Izzelle



Kids Krumping in the Talent Show




No comments: