Friday, August 18, 2006

The Move

As the ministry continues to show itself, changes have to happen. Since the day I answered God's knock and call on my life, He has been working on me continually. I'm not even the same creation I was when I came to know about God. Not only am I changing, but I eventually won't even look like the old me. This is a good thing and I am excited to find out what God is making me into. When I look in the mirror I pray that I not see "Carlos" but I see this new creation God has formed me to be and become. Like Christ...

Not just a youth worker, dj, graffiti artist, husband, all around guy... but something more.

In the last few years I have become a "parent" and a "role-model/mentor" to many youth. Within the last year, God has been teaching me how to be a father as well. Not just there to teach or parent but there to love youth as Christ loves us.

Valerie and I have taken in three children into our home within the last year. Celeste (6), Martika (15) and Ray Shon (19). During this time we have also been working with a group of 15-20 Young Adults. This father's day I received 5 Father's Day Cards and numerous "Happy Father's Days" from young people who look at me as a father figure. The question I was asking God was,"Why?" Why would youth look at me, only 28, as a father, why would I have a father's day present and yet have no kids. This is not something I am doing to myself... this is something God is doing to me. It's very shocking to have kids ask you to be their "dad" or to have kids look at you as a father figure when all you wanted to do was just love on them and send them on their way. Lately though the focus is,"HOW?" How do I become a "father" to others and what do I do now with what God has given me. If God is making me into a father, then I want to be the best I can be, and the only way to do that is to seek his will.

House of Faith (where I work with youth full time) has acquired a home that they were looking at turning into a home for young girls and boys as a transitional home. To teach young adults how to be men and women of God before they have to be out on their own. One day my boss (Rachel) asked if Val and I would be interested in moving into this house. It came in a general conversation about youth I guess seeing that we were already doing such things as taking in youth and ministering to young adults. The thought had not crossed my mind before, but as I went home and mentioned it to Valerie it actually sounded like a good idea.

As of last month me and my family moved out of our two bedroom one bath home into a 4000 sq foot ex-daycare. The facility will one day be a home for youth, where a family or house parent will live on one side and "clients" on the other. The move was quick but we wanted to get out of our other home and get going on this vision God has given House of Faith.

The house is a big white U shaped building we have turned into a temporary home. With large rooms and no real "restroom", we have set up shop and are looking to the future of creating a home for teens. At first it was like going camping but now its more like sleeping in a hotel with limited privacy.

Please be in prayer for us as a new school year is starting and I'm pretty sure by next year we will be in a new place in life. If you have any questions please just leave a comment or email me. Again we are excited about this move and wanted to let everyone know what was going on. Below are some pictures of the outside of the home.

If you would like to donate to this project you can contact us at www.hofministries.org or call us at House of Faith. Thanks and Blessings to you all

Carlos and Valerie Trevino





No comments: